We get to hear some incredible reports of joy, surprise and excitement when God’s word comes in the heart language of those who have waited for it. We’ve picked 12 quotes of the year to remind you of some of the amazing things that God has done.
From a poem by James Lokuuda Kadanya, a speaker of the Toposa language of South Sudan
2. I think if we call certain things as ‘basic needs’, I think that [God’s word in the mother tongue] should be the most basic need for every people.
Naphtaly Matah, working with BTL, Bible translation partners in Kenya
3. The Holy Ghost is as much the author of the Bible in the Hebrew, Greek, French, Dutch, and English, as in Latin.
4. Did you bring us Bibles?
At the arrival of a small aircraft in a war-torn nation
5. Dide -Lagɔɔ. -Jejitapε, -mι na ‘paa fuo, -mι na ‘paa yuo…
Bita Tra Didier prays in his mother tongue
6. Language loss is often related to oppression and injustice. For these communities preservation of their language is about the restoration of their cultural identities, their values and their heritage.
Peter Munguti, the general secretary for Bible Translation and Literacy of East Africa
8. This is such a good story! We didn’t know the Bible had good stories in it!
Ikoma speakers, Tanzania
9. It means that Jesus is one of them, he is their brother, is their Lord. He can understand their language, he can speak it… It means that he understands their problems… When they talk to him, he is not a stranger.
Bishop Ndukuba, Nigeria
10. We have blazed a trail that no one in the 400-year history of our language has done. To suggest that certain languages are not worthy of the word of God is arrogant and ignorant.
Rev Courtney Stewart, general secretary of the Bible Society of the West Indies, on the publication of the Jamaican (also known as Jamaican Creole / Patois) New Testament
11. Jesus must have been a real man on this earth then. He’s not just white man’s magic.
Binumarien speakers, Papua New Guinea, on hearing Jesus’ genealogy in Matthew 1.
12. This would mean that God kept loving us over and over, millennia after millennia, while all that time we rejected his great love. He is compelled to love us, even though we have sinned more than any people.
Hdi translation committee, Cameroon
Happy New Year from Wycliffe Bible Translators! We are full of thankfulness for the amazing thing God is doing through people like you to bring his word to the world.