Despite the ongoing turmoil and violence in the Central African Republic (CAR), translation teams there have continued to produce draft translations of Scripture. This is at once an item for praise and a challenge. As there are no translation consultants currently able to live in CAR, there is a large backlog of unchecked draft translations.
The checking process is vitally important to ensure that each translation is correct and communicates clearly. Regular checking is useful to translators as they are able to learn from any mistakes they have made and problems can be caught early before they have the chance to become habits.
Praise God that recent consultant visits have resulted in Scriptures being checked. The ‘concentrated’ style of working – when consultants come in for just a few weeks, work flat out and then leave again – is not ideal, but it’s the best solution for the current situation.
Will, a translation consultant to CAR, used to live and work in CAR but is now based in the UK. The security situation there has prevented him from visiting for three years but he is visibly excited that he has a trip lined up for November. He hopes to be joined by a colleague who has just moved to Cameroon. In order for that to happen his colleague needs her residency papers before she can travel.
- That many consultants would be able to make regular visits to Bangui and clear the backlog. Pray that they encourage the translators and other national staff.
- For the Gbeya and Kaba teams, who are close to finishing the New Testament. None of the consultants involved in CAR have experience in the final stages of preparing a New Testament for printing. Please pray that God would help both teams and related consultants to finish well. Find more ways to pray for projects nearing completion.
- For the teams who are early on in the process of translating the New Testament. Pray that God will help them grow in translation skills and that God would provide consultant support for them.
- Pray that Will and his colleague would both be able to go to CAR in November. After not doing any consulting for 3 years Will is concerned he is out of practice. Pray that God will help them both do a great job.
- Pray for peace and reconciliation in CAR.
Find out more about the situation in CAR via the BBC.