On 14 February the people of Nigeria were to have gone to the polls to elect a president, a national house of assembly and a national house of representatives, followed a couple of weeks later by the election of state governors.
However, now the whole process has been postponed by six weeks because of security concerns in the north-east. The electoral commission said it made the decision after the security agencies advised there would not be enough troops available to guarantee the safety of voters.
Already tensions are high and trouble is possible. Some voters view this delay as a ploy by the ruling party to gain more ground in the campaign. Will you stand in the gap for the people of Nigeria?
Here are some ways that you can pray for:
Abuja, the Nigerian capital and centre of governance:
- Pray that God would build up foundations of generous governance and humility in this city, so that his Kingdom would reign through effective national leadership.
- Trust God for righteous leadership to be established.
Justice and righteousness in the election processes:
- Pray for the Independent National Electoral Commission for effective fulfillment of their duties.
- Pray that all will have an equal opportunity to vote and for the uprooting of unrighteous practices in the electoral process.
- Pray the security forces to act justly, with integrity and that God would strengthen the hearts and hands of the righteous.
- Pray for open eyes and wisdom as they execute their duties.
- Stand against every evil plan and scheme to promote and spread violence during the election days.
- Pray that God would honour the faithful fasting and prayers of his watchmen so that massive peace would be enjoyed throughout the land and God’s name will be honoured.
Strategic governmental partnerships to further God’s purpose:
- The history of modern Bible translation is filled with stories of how God worked in governments of the earth to fulfill his purpose for peoples under the authority of those governments. Ask God for fresh strategic relationships to be born in this season.